BBW Positive Music - Last updated May 28, 2017 by Jadox
WHAT?
Songs mainly about “Big Girls,” BBWs, Women of Size, with
a positive theme
WHY?
Because no official catalog exists that highlights or
showcases songs exclusively about Women of Size.
WHO? Underground emcee/FA BertRell aka Jadox who is known for promoting Size Acceptance, as well as performing "BBW-Positive" Hip Hop music at Clubs and Bashes from coast-to-coast.
WHO? Underground emcee/FA BertRell aka Jadox who is known for promoting Size Acceptance, as well as performing "BBW-Positive" Hip Hop music at Clubs and Bashes from coast-to-coast.
I
am pleased that more "Big
Girl
Music"
exists
now
(in
2017)
than there was when I began
contributing to the movement back in 2002. I started writing songs
from the perspective of a “true FA” (Fat
Admirer),
with emphasis placed on content that reinforced fostering
positive
self-image
and confidence
for any
Women
of Size who
may (or
may NOT)
have needed it (just
because a person is BIG doesn't mean they automatically have
self-esteem issues...)
I did this because there weren't many songs that I could find (at
least not in rap or hiphop culture)
that did the same.
This
is an ongoing list of songs that I consider to be “BBW-Positive,”
for the most part. I began classifying many of my own songs as such
when I listened to the majority of what else was out there in the
world of Big Girl music. I discovered that--back in the days--that
what I was doing wasn't the norm. While this isn't an exhaustive
list, it aims to be; if there is a song that belongs here that you
believe I missed, please let me know, and I'll check them out.
Granted,
some of the songs listed may have content that falls within a "gray
area," but I'll most likely filter out any that simply ridicule
and disrespect Women of Size (this ain't THAT kind of party).
"But
some of these songs you're spotlighting disrepect women
who are skinny or thin..."
#doublestandard #facts
Yes,
some of these songs DO contain lyrics that throw major
shade at those who have smaller dress sizes or don't fit the "thick"
or "BBW" definition. It happens, even in a handful
of my own songs, unfortunately. I can't say I'm proud of that, but
we've got to start SOMEWHERE.
At
one time, that seemed to be the right thing to do because, “Who
else would be hating on fat girls, if not skinny girls?” My
advice is to ignore it if it isn't applicable. I've performed at too
many spots over the years to fall for the notion that all “skinny
chicks” hate on “big chicks” and vice-versa.
“But
I don't like the term 'BBW' as it is used to describe Women of Size.”
#NotEveryoneDoes
#WhoYouCallingFat
No,
not everyone is comfortable with the “BBW” label. Also, many
consider “fat” to be a bad word. Well, all I have to offer is an
apology, as my intent is not to offend. If either term bothers
folks...there's nothing I can really do about that, unfortunately. -J.
Middleton
Comments
Post a Comment